Re: Storage server

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 08:05:49AM -0500, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> > I'm not able to find that card here (and I haven't so far), can I have another one?
>
> That's hard to believe given the worldwide penetration Adaptec has, and
> the fact UPS/FedEx ship worldwide.  What country are you in?

I'm in Serbia. I tried several web sites of more known dealers, but it's
possible that they don't have everything listed there on their web
sites. If my boss approve buying RAID card, I'll call them to see if
they have it or if they can order one.

> > If not, how to find appropriate one? One with 8 supported devices,
> > hardware RAID10? What else to look for?

> You mean "same" solution, yet?  They are not equal.  Far from it.

I meant "some" as in it's something. I'm aware that they are not equal.

> > In case I don't get that card,
> > should I remove /boot from RAID1?
>
> Post the output of
>
> ~$ cat /proc/mdstat
>
> I was under the impression you didn't have this system built and running
> yet.  Apparently you do.  Are the 4x 3TB drives the only drives in this
> system?
>
> --
> Stan

I didn't till 30 minutes ago. :) I just installed it for exercise if
nothing else. Had a problem with booting.

"Unable to install GRUB in /dev/sda
Executing 'grub-intall /dev/sda' failed.
This is a fatal error."

After creating 1MB partition at the beginning of every drive with
"reserved for boot bios" it worked (AHCI in BIOS).

Anyhow, this is output of "cat /proc/mdstat":
Personalities : [raid1] [raid10]
md1 : active raid10 sda3[0] sdd2[3] sdc2[2] sdb3[1]
      5859288064 blocks super 1.2 512K chunks 2 near-copies [4/4] [UUUU]
      [======>..............]  resync = 32.1% (1881658368/5859288064) finish=325.2min speed=203828K/sec

md0 : active raid1 sda2[0] sdb2[1]
      488128 blocks super 1.2 [2/2] [UU]

unused devices: <none>

I'm not sure what is being copied on freshly installed system.

Regards,
Veljko