Re: Storage server

On Sat, Sep 08, 2012 at 08:23:36PM +0200, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Are you serious about that?
>
> You are planning to mix backup, productions workloads and testing on a
> single *desktop class* machine?
>
> If you had a redundant and failsafe virtualization cluster with 2-3 hosts
> and redundant and failsafe storage cluster, then maybe – except for the
> backup. But for a single desktop class machine I´d advice against putting
> such different workloads on it. Especially in a enterprise scenario.
>
> While you may get away with running test and production VMs on a
> virtualization host, I would at least physically (!) separate the backup
> so that breaking the machine by testing stuff would not make the backup
> inaccessible. And no: RAID is not a backup! So please forget about mixing
> a backup with production/testing workloads. Now.
>
> I personally do not see a strong reason against SoftRAID although I
> battery backed up hardware RAID controller can be quite nice for
> performance as you can disable cache flushing / barriers. But then that
> should be possible with a battery backed up non RAID controller, if there
> is any, as well.
>
> Thanks Stan for asking the basic questions. The answers made obvious to me
> that in the current form this can´t be a sane setup.
>
> --
> Martin 'Helios' Steigerwald - http://www.Lichtvoll.de
> GPG: 03B0 0D6C 0040 0710 4AFA  B82F 991B EAAC A599 84C7

Yes, I know how that sounds. But testing in my case is installing
slim Debian, apache on top of it and running some light web application
for a few hours. Nothing intensive. Just to have fresh machine with
nothing on it. But if running it sounds too bad I could just run it
somewhere else. Thanks for your advice, Martin!

On the other hand, monitoring has to be here, no place else to put it.

Regards,
Veljko