Re: Storage server

Am Samstag, 8. September 2012 schrieb Veljko:
> On Sat, Sep 08, 2012 at 08:23:36PM +0200, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > Are you serious about that?
> >
> > You are planning to mix backup, productions workloads and testing on
> > a single *desktop class* machine?
> >
> > If you had a redundant and failsafe virtualization cluster with 2-3
> > hosts and redundant and failsafe storage cluster, then maybe –
> > except for the backup. But for a single desktop class machine I´d
> > advice against putting such different workloads on it. Especially in
> > a enterprise scenario.
> >
> > While you may get away with running test and production VMs on a
> > virtualization host, I would at least physically (!) separate the
> > backup so that breaking the machine by testing stuff would not make
> > the backup inaccessible. And no: RAID is not a backup! So please
> > forget about mixing a backup with production/testing workloads. Now.
> >
> > I personally do not see a strong reason against SoftRAID although I
> > battery backed up hardware RAID controller can be quite nice for
> > performance as you can disable cache flushing / barriers. But then
> > that should be possible with a battery backed up non RAID
> > controller, if there is any, as well.
> >
> > Thanks Stan for asking the basic questions. The answers made obvious
> > to me that in the current form this can´t be a sane setup.
>
> Yes, I know how that sounds. But testing in my case is installing
> slim Debian, apache on top of it and running some light web application
> for a few hours. Nothing intensive. Just to have fresh machine with
> nothing on it. But if running it sounds too bad I could just run it
> somewhere else. Thanks for your advice, Martin!
>
> On the other hand, monitoring has to be here, no place else to put it.

Consider the consequenzes:

If the server fails, you possibly wouldn´t know why cause the monitoring
information wouldn´t be available anymore. So at least least Nagios /
Icingo send out mails, in case these are not stored on the server as well,
or let it relay the information to another Nagios / Icinga instance.

What data do you backup? From where does it come?

I still think backup should be separate from other stuff. By design.

Well for more fact based advice we´d require a lot more information on
your current setup and what you want to achieve.

I recommend to have a serious talk about acceptable downtimes and risks
for the backup with the customer if you serve one or your boss if you work
for one.