software breaks software (Re: alsa-base breaks linux-sound-base)

Chris Bannister <cbannister@slingshot.co.nz> writes:

> On Tue, Sep 04, 2012 at 03:39:59PM +0200, lee wrote:
>> Chris Bannister <cbannister@slingshot.co.nz> writes:
>> > Read this:
>> > http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMultimedia/FAQ
>> >
>> > Also, just found this:
>> > http://blogs.dailynews.com/click/2012/06/debian-project-leader-stefano.html
>>
>> That's interesting --- the question is what would actually be missing or
>> not working if I removed everything from dmo and replaced it with what's
>> in Debian.
>
> Don't know, depends. You could try it and see.

I tried and 268 packages were removed, even including gimp. I
re-installed what I needed from Debian and so far, I'm not missing
anything.

> For example if you watch DVD's on your computer you will need
> libdvdcss2 which isn't available in Debian.

Yeah what's the replacement for that?

> So if you want to compile a package which isn't available in Debian, you
> still won't need a "deb-src" entry, you will only need to install any
> xxx-dev packages, where xxx is any package required to satisfy the build
> dependency.

Yes, and that is something I'm trying to avoid. Foreign software ---
even if it's something that is available in Debian in an older version
--- has a tendency to pile up under /usr/local and can be difficult to
remove or to upgrade. On top of that, you can get dependency problems
you never know about ...

--
Debian testing amd64