Re: no input from microphone (Re: Do I still need alsa if I have pulseaudio)

,---- [lspci -v ]
| 01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GF100 High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)
|         Subsystem: NVIDIA Corporation Device 079f
|         Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 19
|         Memory at fea7c000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
|         Capabilities: [60] Power Management version 3
|         Capabilities: [68] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
|         Capabilities: [78] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
|         Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
`----

There is no /etc/asound.conf and no ~/.asoundrc.

> I believe you said you are not using PA, are you also not using
> any other sound server, like Jack or the ancient aRts or ESD?

Nope, alsa only, no sound servers.

,----
| lee@yun:~$ lsmod |grep snd
| snd_hrtimer            12604  1
| snd_hda_codec_hdmi     30783  4
| snd_hda_codec_realtek   188797  1
| snd_hda_intel          26345  0
| snd_usb_audio          84836  0
| snd_usbmidi_lib        23420  1 snd_usb_audio
| snd_cmipci             32712  2
| snd_hda_codec          78031  3 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_codec_hdmi
| snd_mpu401_uart        13507  1 snd_cmipci
| snd_opl3_lib           17445  1 snd_cmipci
| snd_pcm_oss            41081  0
| snd_mixer_oss          17916  1 snd_pcm_oss
| snd_hwdep              13186  3 snd_opl3_lib,snd_hda_codec,snd_usb_audio
| snd_pcm                63900  7 snd_pcm_oss,snd_hda_codec,snd_cmipci,snd_usb_audio,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec_hdmi
| snd_page_alloc         13003  2 snd_pcm,snd_hda_intel
| snd_seq_midi           12848  0
| snd_seq_midi_event     13316  1 snd_seq_midi
| snd_rawmidi            23060  3 snd_seq_midi,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_usbmidi_lib
| snd_seq                45093  3 snd_seq_midi_event,snd_seq_midi
| snd_seq_device         13176  4 snd_seq,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_midi,snd_opl3_lib
| snd_timer              22917  5 snd_seq,snd_pcm,snd_opl3_lib,snd_hrtimer
| snd                    52850  20 snd_timer,snd_seq_device,snd_seq,snd_rawmidi,snd_pcm,snd_hwdep,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm_oss,snd_opl3_lib,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_hda_codec,snd_cmipci,snd_usbmidi_lib,snd_usb_audio,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_codec_hdmi
| gameport               13561  1 snd_cmipci
| soundcore              13065  1 snd
| usbcore               128498  9 ehci_hcd,ohci_hcd,usbhid,btusb,uvcvideo,snd_usbmidi_lib,snd_usb_audio
| lee@yun:~$
`----

The USB stuff is loaded because there's a webcam connected that has a
built-in mic (which I don't use).

,----
| lee@yun:~$ aplay -L
| null
|     Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
| default:CARD=CMI8738
|     C-Media CMI8738, C-Media PCI DAC/ADC
|     Default Audio Device
| sysdefault:CARD=CMI8738
|     C-Media CMI8738, C-Media PCI DAC/ADC
|     Default Audio Device
| front:CARD=CMI8738,DEV=0
|     C-Media CMI8738, C-Media PCI DAC/ADC
|     Front speakers
| rear:CARD=CMI8738,DEV=0
|     C-Media CMI8738, C-Media PCI 2nd DAC
|     Rear speakers
| surround40:CARD=CMI8738,DEV=0
|     C-Media CMI8738, C-Media PCI 2nd DAC
|     4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
| surround41:CARD=CMI8738,DEV=0
|     C-Media CMI8738, C-Media PCI 2nd DAC
|     4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
| surround50:CARD=CMI8738,DEV=0
|     C-Media CMI8738, C-Media PCI 2nd DAC
|     5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
| surround51:CARD=CMI8738,DEV=0
|     C-Media CMI8738, C-Media PCI 2nd DAC
|     5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
| iec958:CARD=CMI8738,DEV=0
|     C-Media CMI8738, C-Media PCI DAC/ADC
|     IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
| default:CARD=SB
|     HDA ATI SB, ALC889 Analog
|     Default Audio Device
| sysdefault:CARD=SB
|     HDA ATI SB, ALC889 Analog
|     Default Audio Device
| front:CARD=SB,DEV=0
|     HDA ATI SB, ALC889 Analog
|     Front speakers
| surround40:CARD=SB,DEV=0
|     HDA ATI SB, ALC889 Analog
|     4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
| surround41:CARD=SB,DEV=0
|     HDA ATI SB, ALC889 Analog
|     4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
| surround50:CARD=SB,DEV=0
|     HDA ATI SB, ALC889 Analog
|     5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
| surround51:CARD=SB,DEV=0
|     HDA ATI SB, ALC889 Analog
|     5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
| surround71:CARD=SB,DEV=0
|     HDA ATI SB, ALC889 Analog
|     7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
| iec958:CARD=SB,DEV=0
|     HDA ATI SB, ALC889 Digital
|     IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
| hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
|     HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
|     HDMI Audio Output
| hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=1
|     HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
|     HDMI Audio Output
| hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=2
|     HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
|     HDMI Audio Output
| hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3
|     HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
|     HDMI Audio Output
| lee@yun:~$
`----

The default card is a Terratec Aureon, that's where the CMI.* stuff
comes from.

--
Debian testing amd64