Re: alsa-base breaks linux-sound-base

Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:

>> Some packages currently installed may be from unstable or experimental
>> because I needed more recent versions of them --- IIRC, the mumble ones
>> are. I would want to keep those until testing catches up.
>
> Then this can be the culprit for all your mess unless you had configure
> apt repositories priorities properly.

What's wrong with it? Aptitude installs packages from testing by default
and installs packages from unstable or experimental when I tell it to,
which is what I want.

>> ,----
>> | lee@yun:~$ LANG=C apt-cache policy
>
> (...)
>
> What the hell is all that bunch of repositories? :-O
>
> You need an urgent reorganization for your repos and also reducing the
> number of them as you have too many defined.

Why? If I was to remove unstable and experimental, how would I install
packages from these when needed? And if I removed Debian multimedia, I
would miss a lot of packages. Perhaps I don't need the security updates
because there aren't any for testing, but they don't seem to hurt
anything.

>> While (unsuccessfully) trying to use more recent NVIDIA drivers because
>> with the ones from testing the X-session randomly froze, I added the
>> i386 architecture because that was recommended. I'm not so sure if that
>> was a good idea ... Fortunately, the freezing problem seems to have been
>> fixed :)
>
> At a high cost, I'd say...

Well, what do you do when your X-session randomly freezes? You have two
choices: Remove the NVIDIA drivers that are in Debian and go back to
using the installer from NVIDIAs website (which is troublesome) --- or
try more recent versions that are in Debian (which didn't fully work and
required to do a downgrade (which was also troublesome) ). The problem
seems to have been somewhere else, and maybe it's still not fixed: I can
only say it didn't occur again yet after there were some kernel and
library upgrades a while ago.

The other case is the mumble server which had a bug so it won't run at
all, and that bug was already reported and even fixed in the version
available in unstable (or experimental). Again you have two choices: Use
the more recent version or get the source and compile and install it
yourself, ignoring the package management and modifying the startup
scripts. So what do you do? --- Besides, why don't they move packages
that do work from unstable/experimental into testing right away when the
packages in testing aren't working at all?

When using the packet management means high cost, what else do you
suggest to use?

>> BTW, what is the Debian way of specifying different locales for
>> different users?
>
> That will depend on the DE you're on (or if you're on none). There's more
> info on locales here:
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/Locale

Given that a little less than 6.5% of the installed packages are not
from testing, about 93% of the wiki page applies ;) It doesn't tell me
how to set it for individual users, though. I guess it needs to go into
~/.bashrc. That may not be enough, I'll have to see ...

--
Debian testing amd64