Re: alsa-base breaks linux-sound-base

Chris Bannister <cbannister@slingshot.co.nz> writes:

> On Tue, Sep 04, 2012 at 07:31:34AM +0200, lee wrote:
>> When they are only different in version, then what is bad about having
>> packages from Debian-multimedia, and why should I remove them?
>
> Read this:
> http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMultimedia/FAQ
>
> Also, just found this:
> http://blogs.dailynews.com/click/2012/06/debian-project-leader-stefano.html

That's interesting --- the question is what would actually be missing or
not working if I removed everything from dmo and replaced it with what's
in Debian.

>> And how about the ones that aren't available in Debian?
>
> You can build them yourself using the build dependencies from Debian.
> If you go that route then that is when you'll need the "deb-src" entries
> in your sources list. There are some guides on the net:

Are you saying that there are sources in Debian packages for which no
binary packages exist? What I don't want is having to gather lots of
various software from all kinds of different sources and try to install
it. That has a lot of disadvantages, and some software you can't even
compile without major modifications.

--
Debian testing amd64