Re: need kernel update for lenny ..

On Tue, 04 Sep 2012 23:34:43 +1200, Chris Bannister wrote:

>> > No mention about security support in that post either ..., or was it
>> > in another thread?
>>
>> Are you wearing your glasses now?
>
> Don't need them!

(ahem...)

> You don't spell "Security support" as "p, a, t, c, h, e, s" more below.

What the...? Patches encompass security fixes and more!

Sorry, if you pretend that I speak with the precision shown by Dr.
Sheldon Cooper from The Big Bang Theory TV series you can start
forgetting about it :-)

>> Sure? Okay, here it goes ...
>
>> ***
>> No, of couse, because as it happens with any "stable" release, Lenny
>> did not provide a kernel upgrade (other than patches) from their usual
>> repo.
>>                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Which implies all patches are backported.

Uh? Yes, of course (well not "all" but those that solve security flaws
and serious problems). I'm afraid I don't follow you...

> You do realise that added features come as patches but are not
> backported don't you?

Yes, I definitely don't follow you. Let's recap to avoid further
confusion:

1/ Debian stable branches don't receive new kernel releases from the
usual repositories but they can be obtained from backports.

2/ Debian stable branches do receive kernel upgrades in form of security
fixes and patches.

3/ That said, you'll never find kernel 3.x branch hitting the security
repository for Squeeze.

You prefer this way?

Greetings,

--