Re: need kernel update for lenny ..

On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 14:33:49 +0200, Meike Stone wrote:

> I've running an Debian Lenny and can't upgrade to Squeeze for the moment
> because of special software ...
>
> Now the Server crashed two times.
> The error message is every time (taken from the console):
>
> "Filesystem "dm-2": XFS internal error xfs_trans_cancel at line 1163 of
> fs/xfs/xfs_trans.c Caller 0xf8s8656d Filesystem "dm-2": Corruption of
> in-memory data dedected. Shutting down filesystem: dm-2
> Please umount the filesystem, and rectify the problem(s)"

(...)

> In the second link, someone told that the problem may solved in the
> kernel 2.6.30.
>
> I tried to upgrade to the latest kernel via:
>
> deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian-archive/debian/ lenny main
> deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian-archive/debian/ lenny main
>
> and
>
> aptitude update
> aptitude safe-upgrade
>
> but I had no luck, nothing to upgrade.

No, of couse, because as it happens with any "stable" release, Lenny did
not provide a kernel upgrade (other than patches) from their usual repo.

I don't recall what was the last backported kernel available for Lenny
but this would be the easier solution.

> The Server is going to migrate to new software (and Debian) in three
> month, but until then i need a stable system.
>
> So does anyone has an idea how to solve the problem?

You can also get the sources for 2.6.32/2.6.34 from kernel.org and
manually compile a new kernel. I usually have to build "express" kernels
by this way for my wheezy and these steps have been working very well:

8.6.1. Kernel Image Management
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch08s06.html.en

Greetings,

--