Re: ifupdown's changelog: Try to remove old /etc/network/run even if it's a symlink

On Tue, Sep 04, 2012 at 06:09:59PM +0300, Regid Ichira wrote:
>   Can I remove /etc/network/run manually?  Just /etc/network/run.  Not
> /run/network.
>
>   I don't have /etc/network/run.dpkg-old.  I understand that the writer
> of that code fragment was cautious about various linkage methods.  I
> tried to follow the logic of the code, but failed.  For example,
> why is there an explicit
>
>   ln -s /run/network /etc/network/run

The ultimate goal of this block of code is to end up with the ifupdown
state in /run/network, and /etc/network/run symlinked to /run/network.
/etc/network/run used to be symlinked to somewhere writable, and so
could be configured as the sysadmin saw fit.  Now we have /run, this
is no longer configurable: we always place the state in /run/network,
and so the symlink is updated to reflect the new reality.  The code is
complex out of necessity--we support a number of different variants,
and need to make sure we upgrade all of them properly (e.g. it could
be a symlink or a directory).

While ifupdown itself now uses /run/network exclusively, I think the
symlink is left in place to cater for any tools which might want to
look there, so as to not break backward compatibility.  I would
suspect it will be removed in jessie after we've made sure that no
users remain.

For now, it's probably best to leave it in place (though it is likely
perfectly OK to remove, best not to do so until we've tested this as
a supported configuration).  It's not doing any harm even if it's
unused.

Regards,
Roger

--