Re: need kernel update for lenny ..

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 05:24:53PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 18:08:58 +0100, Tony van der Hoff wrote:
>
> > On 29/08/12 17:28, Camaleón wrote:
> >> It does not matter that Lenny is out of support (formerly codenamed
> >> "oldstable") because even the current stable release (Squeeze) neither
> >> get kernel upgrades (for kernel upgrades I mean going from 2.6.26 to
> >> 2.6.32 or 3.x branch, for instance). Kernel upgrades in Debian only
> >> happen in testing (until becomes frozen) and sid.
> >>
> > Unless there's an upgrade to fix a security issue, I believe?
>
> Sure, that's what I said in an earlier post¹ ;-)

LOL, come on ... nice try though. Hey! we all make misteaks

> But still security updates for the kernel keep the same branch
> (2.6.32), they can't jump so far because of compatibility (ABI) issues.

Huh? For a start, the fix is backported so that only the problematic
code is corrected. Not all kernels are vulnerable to the same security
fault, hence a vulnerability in a 3.x kernel doesn't mean that it
affects kernels in the 2.6.26 - 2.6.32 range.

> ¹http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2012/08/msg01890.html

No mention about security support in that post either ..., or was it in
another thread?

oppressing." --- Malcolm X