Re: Why is Nautilus using 38% CPU?

Le dimanche 02 septembre 2012 à 12:28 -0500, Mark Allums a écrit :

> I noticed a low-grade but continuous disk activity.
Check with atop or another tool like that. The two main culprits for
completely unknown and continuous IO transfers are tracker-miner and
ext4 (if your HDD/SSD is big and has just been formated).
Again atop or a similar tool could be of a great help.

> Also, it uses a lot
> of RAM.  This machine has 24G of ram (way  overkill, I know) and 23G of
> it can be used at times.
If this memory is just cached, this only means the kernel does a good
job at using all the available memory.

>  But zero % swap. /var/log filled up with logs
> recently, and I was having lots of browser crashes and kernel oopses ,
> but I traced that to a bad wireless USB WiFi card or driver.
That could be. Did you try to run a memtest to check your RAM health?

>   Diagnosing
> that is when I noticed the Nautilus thing.
Did you try to remove nautilus references in ~/.config, ~/.local/share
and ~/.gnome2?

It's also worth noting that Nautilus will overcome a major upgrade in
the upcoming version of Gnome (3.6). A lot of bug should be fixed at
that time (and a lot of others should be "released").