Re: [OT] Re: New Mainboard.

> On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 15:55:01 -0700, Weaver wrote:
>
>>> On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 04:56:58 -0700, Weaver wrote:
> (...)
>>>
>>> (...)
>>>
>>> I'd look for either MSI or Gigabyte boards as both brands do high
>>> quality products. And I would also choose a solution with integrated
>>> VGA (ATI) to keep the case as clean and organized as possible with the
>>> less cables and cooling fans as I can (less coolers, less dust :-P).
>>> Also, I would look for a BIOS (non UEFI) product.
>>
>> Yes.
>> This last I have been trying to do, but the large manufacturers seem to
>> be somewhat shy about listing what BIOS is available on each board these
>> days.
>
> Agree, manufacturers are hidding these "advanced specs" (sigh...) to the
> users so when you find a board of you liking, just directly ask them
> about this.
>
>> I usually go for ASUS, but their site is a nightmare to navigate,
>> compared to how it used to be.
>
> Asus used to be in my list but since my good P2B-S and CUV4X (both for
> Pentium III) I've only read but problems and issues with their new boards
> and Linux. You know, all that fancy "turbo-mega-hyper-silent-green-dual-
> bios-fast-recovery" stuff that can indeed work fine when you load the
> Windows drivers ;-P

Yes.
Funny you should mention it, but I've just been given a CU4VX with a P3
mounted in good order.
I'm going to load it up with all my old, spare IDE drives and turn it into
a small file server.
It's ATA133 capable.
Regards,

Weaver.

--
"I invite you to name a society that created a secret prison
 system, outside the rule of law, where torture takes place,