Re: best filesystem for logical volume ?

On Aug 17, 2012 12:50 PM, "J. B" <bakshi12@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Aug 2012 16:31:06 +0000 (UTC)
> Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 17 Aug 2012 21:56:22 +0530, J. B wrote:

> > > Full disk encryption
> >
> > Fine but better if yu can expand that, because it says little about the
> > system main usage.
> >

> Sure....
>
> My laptop have i5 CPU with 3GB RAM.  I bought a new disk and want to create LVM on it, except /boot
> And finally transfer all data to that DISK. So I am in search of a filesystem which can give me better
> performance. The system will have apache+mysql+postfix as well as the desktop system KDE.

First, the bottleneck is going to be your hardware - laptop disks suck (they don't spin as fast). Otoh, if this is SSD, you've got other issues to consider. Ie, if the key is compromised, good luck wiping the data.

Second, what you're describing is a dev box (or more likely a playground). Now, while it would've been cool if someone had built a formula one track on my playground I think more toys in the sandbox would've given a better bang foe the buck. What I'm saying is, who cares? I hear lvm has overhead anyway, but maybe that's another matter. Maybe you should just go read about all of the file systems and use the one that gives you the moat warm and fuzzies. There's the long standing defacto ext, there's the wife killer's reiser (also on sles iirc), there's the badly licensed zfs, the old (but very good - made for six ~20 years ago) xfs.