Re: Server software

Ahoj,

Dňa Thu, 16 Aug 2012 05:01:11 -0400 Gary Dale <garydale@rogers.com>
napísal:

> On 16/08/12 12:41 AM, Slavko wrote:
> > To unselect the Desktop environment is enough. Sometime I am selecting
> > the SSH server task here, because it provides the SSH server for
> > me, but all other thing i am doing manually by APT after installation -
> > this provides more control about installed software for me.
> >
> Not really. De-selecting the desktop environment gives you a machine
> with just a command line. You still need to make into a useful server,
> such as for file & print services, database, web, time, etc..

Here we are talking about different things.

Selecting some task will install pre-selected software, e.g. Apache as web
server. But when i want e.g. nginx for it, it is better choice do not
install the web server task at all and install nginx and related manually
latter.

Installing the task from installer will install the recommended packages
too, but it is not always good choice, specially for server - in mean to
install only used (needed) software.

> SSH is pretty much always as good idea for a server because it allows
> you to operate it headless. NTP is also generally useful since it allows
> for a local point to synchronous against. It has to be added separately
> though. It's not on the task select list.

> You also need to decide whether you want to use NFS or Samba for file
> sharing. Samba is the more generally useful, and you can configure it to
> provide user account services as well. However, if you don't have
> Windows computers on your network, it's not necessary.

Please, which service is not installable from APT latter? The NTP service
has more choices too - ntp and openntpd. The samba has now two versions
available - samba and samba4, which is better? This must to decide the
user (administrator in this case), because the answer can be depended on
the more things. In most small business - the ISC DHCP server + Bind are
hammer, the dnsmasq is enough for this. The cups, samba3 and ntp can all
be good choice, etc.

Just - it depends :-) - choosing the predefined task will be install the
predefined software list, but predefined will not always provide the best
choice for you.

In other words - the simplest way isn't always the better way.

regards

--
Slavko
http://slavino.sk