Re: Server software

On 16/08/12 12:41 AM, Slavko wrote:
Hi,

Dňa Wed, 15 Aug 2012 23:39:35 -0400 Gary Dale<garydale@rogers.com>
napísal:

1. I can't find the version or name to download. Can you just provide
the correct name and version to get.
My direction was contrary, i select the Debian desktop, because i had it
on servers :-)

Excellent choice. As Aidan said, just de-select the desktop environment
during the install but select whichever server tasks you need. I
To unselect the Desktop environment is enough. Sometime I am selecting
the SSH server task here, because it provides the SSH server for
me, but all other thing i am doing manually by APT after installation -
this provides more control about installed software for me.

regards

Not really. De-selecting the desktop environment gives you a machine with just a command line. You still need to make into a useful server, such as for file & print services, database, web, time, etc..

SSH is pretty much always as good idea for a server because it allows you to operate it headless. NTP is also generally useful since it allows for a local point to synchronous against. It has to be added separately though. It's not on the task select list.

You also need to decide whether you want to use NFS or Samba for file sharing. Samba is the more generally useful, and you can configure it to provide user account services as well. However, if you don't have Windows computers on your network, it's not necessary.