Re: Avocent 100 KVM switch problems

El 2012-08-14 a las 21:02 -0700, Gary Roach escribió:

(resending to the list)

> On 08/14/2012 09:01 AM, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 13:28:35 -0700, Gary Roach wrote:
>>

>>> I just purchased an Avocent Switchview 100-4 KVM+Audio switch. I have 2
>>> Debian systems and 1 Windows 2000 system. Everything works fine except
>>> that the scroll lock key will not switch channels when connected to a
>>> Debian system but works fine when connected to the Windows system.
>>> Further, the NumLock light is reversed with the Debian systems and works
>>> correctly with the Windows system.
>>> I talked to the factory and they don't understand it either. I am using
>>> a Microsoft 4000, USB, Ergonomic keyboard and Microsoft USB laser
>>> mouse.
>>>
>> I would try to run the usual tests, just as it was a single keyboard or
>> mouse. First, look at the Xorg log, maybe you can see something coming
>> from there. Also, check if "xev" is reacting properly when you press the
>> scroll key. Then, jump to "init 1" (no X server loaded) and check if it
>> works from there. And last but not least, you can try to load a LiveCD
>> with an updated kernel just for testing purposes (sometimes is good to
>> know how a system completely different than our usual one is behaving).
>>

> Hi Camaleon
>
> Xev is receiving the proper codes when the keys in question are pressed.

Good, then we can discard a problem coming from messed up keys :-)

> With the X server off the ScrLk -ScrLk sequence switches the KVM switch
> as it should. Interesting. The NumLk light also works correctly. The
> NumLk light problem predates the new KVM switch. I am using Squeeze on
> on of the systems and Wheezy on the other. Both have the same problem.

Mmm... so is Xorg server that is interfering with the KVM behaviour?
Yes, that's inetresting because at least you have a start point and can
discard a hardware problem.

Oh...wait, wait, wait. This remembers me that indeed, the Scroll lock
key is disabled on purpose in Xorg, I almost forget it and look, it
seems there are some related reports from users about this:

KVM/Scroll Lock behavior
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2012-January/053996.html

What to do then to restore the key its original functionality from an X
session? Dunno, let's see if a there's a Xorg guru around who can
provide you some tips :-)

> There is one error showing up in the Xorg.log. I pasted part of the log
> below. I am not quite sure what I am looking at here but the keyboard
> "failed to initialize for relative axes" what ever that means. I hope
> this helps.

Thanks for the log. I leave it "untouched" so others can review it but I
think the errors showed here are not directly related to the Scroll
Lock issue.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón