Re: Avocent 100 KVM switch problems

On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 13:28:35 -0700, Gary Roach wrote:

> I just purchased an Avocent Switchview 100-4 KVM+Audio switch. I have 2
> Debian systems and 1 Windows 2000 system. Everything works fine except
> that the scroll lock key will not switch channels when connected to a
> Debian system but works fine when connected to the Windows system.
> Further, the NumLock light is reversed with the Debian systems and works
> correctly with the Windows system. Why the operating system should
> effect the switches operation is beyond my ken.

Well, a KVM is in the end a shared keyboard and mouse (that is, hardware
after all) so the OS will have something to say, right? :-)

But now you say... does it work as it should before the OS is even loaded
(that is, when you are inside the BIOS screen, for instance)?

> I talked to the factory and they don't understand it either. I am using
> a Microsoft 4000, USB, Ergonomic keyboard and Microsoft USB laser
> mouse. Normally I wouldn't bother but the switch is buried under the
> computer table and is hard to control manually. Has anyone else had
> this problem and know of a fix. The SkrLk + SkrLk + End that is
> suggested on some of the web sites doesn't work.

I would try to run the usual tests, just as it was a single keyboard or
mouse. First, look at the Xorg log, maybe you can see something coming
from there. Also, check if "xev" is reacting properly when you press the
scroll key. Then, jump to "init 1" (no X server loaded) and check if it
works from there. And last but not least, you can try to load a LiveCD
with an updated kernel just for testing purposes (sometimes is good to
know how a system completely different than our usual one is behaving).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón