Re: Why have d-community-offtopic? (Re: What does group consider to be on topic"?)

On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 08:03:06 +1200, Chris Bannister wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 01:38:27PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Sun, 22 Jul 2012 19:06:48 +1200, Chris Bannister wrote:
>> > But, it **IS** ON TOPIC if they are not looking for Oracle support,
>> > so marking it [OT] is counter productive.
>>
>> And when is that to happen? What's the line that makes the difference
>> between both? In the end, you are asking for support about an Oracle
>> product, right?
>
> It could be an installation issue; working in with the Debian system.
> Then it is not [OT]

If the installer is not in charge of Debian, then yes, that's suitable
for the "off-topic" tag. If it is closed source, even more. We cannot
control any aspect of the installation routine neither have a look at the
code, that's a task for the Oracle devels.

>> > d-community-offtopic would be the list to post to if they wanted free
>> > Oracle support.
>>
>> The list to post would be in that case the Oracle forum or mailing
>> lists
>
> Oracle don't tend to give out free help. Could you find a mailing list?

Ah, you finally got it! Now you see why someone would ask an OT here? >:-)

(side note: yes, there are forums and mailing lists available at their
site)

>> but the OP already knows that and he/she is not looking for *that kind*
>> of support,
>
> Free help is better than paying for it. :)

Exactly, that's the point.

>> that's why he/she tags the subject as OT here, not in debian offtopic
>> ML.
>
> Are you suggesting that some posts to d-community-offtopic be marked as
> [OT] ?

Mmm, nope... what made you think that? Anyway, it would be a redundancy
but nothing that hurts. I can't tell because I'm unaware about the rules
of the offtopic mailing list.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón