Re: pidgin ym protocol over ssl

You could also try the pidgin-encryption plugin (if both of you are
using pidgin). The protocol is still not encrypted, but your text is.

You might also try to use the IM web-interface if applicable: if it uses
https (and you have no warning about the page not being completely
encrypted), then you are ok.

Finally, you may consider switching to another protocol/service provider
that allows built-in encryption.