Re: [OT] Intelectual Property Law [WAS: Re: what graphic card to buy?]

On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 16:04:10 -0400
Gary Dale <garydale@rogers.com> wrote:

> On 19/07/12 03:20 PM, Celejar wrote:
> > On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 09:08:58 +0300
> > Andrei POPESCU<andreimpopescu@gmail.com>  wrote:

> >> Please don't confuse free (beer) with free(dom). Also, I don't have a
> > It's not that simple. If I realize my software as FLOSS, even if I
> > charge money for it, how many copies can I realistically hope to sell
> > if any and all my customers are perfectly free to distribute it gratis?
> Many companies release their software as FLOSS and make money out of it.

Quite true - and completely irrelevant to my point. I don't deny that
money can be made with FLOSS, just that it's pointless to try to sell
copies of one's software if it's freely copyable. The examples you give
are all of models other than the straightforward sale of licenses or
copies.

--
Celejar <celejar@gmail.com>