Re: [OT] Intelectual Property Law [WAS: Re: what graphic card to buy?]

On 18/07/12 05:32 PM, Rick Thomas wrote:
Hi folks,

While fascinating, this discussion has wandered seriously Off Topic.  It's no longer appropriate for "debian-user", I think.  I'm not a list-guru.  Is there a debian list where it would be on-topic? If so, maybe we should take it there.

Enjoy!

Rick

Not a guru and a top-poster to boot.  :)

Personally I think one of the biggest appeals of Debian (and of Linux in general) is the commitment to freedom. IP laws and the degree to which hardware vendors support freedom is relevant to purchasing decisions. Debian users need to understand that attempts to encumber knowledge for profit are inherently wrong.

There are some Linux distributions which don't have Debian's commitment to freedom. Interestingly, Debian seems to be outlasting them.