Re: [OT] Intelectual Property Law [WAS: Re: what graphic card to buy?]

On 07/18/2012 11:45 PM, Celejar wrote:
On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 23:30:57 -0400
Gary Dale<garydale@rogers.com>  wrote:

Personally I think one of the biggest appeals of Debian (and of Linux in
general) is the commitment to freedom. IP laws and the degree to which
hardware vendors support freedom is relevant to purchasing decisions.
I agree.

Debian users need to understand that attempts to encumber knowledge for
profit are inherently wrong.
I don't wholly agree here. I have a very strong preference for FLOSS,
for many reasons, but I fully respect the rights of others to develop,
sell, buy and use non-FLOSS. It is the right of others, individuals and
corporations, to develop, market and sell proprietary software; it is
my right to avoid such stuff to whatevenr extent possible.

The problem is that there is a huge number of specialized programs
developed to fill a particular need, in many cases using a great deal
of specialized knowledge.  There are, for example, microwave CAD
programs--circuit simulators and optimizers for radio frequency
design from MHz to THz (Tera hertz); circuit layout programs
which can take a circuit drawn on paper and turn it into a manufacturable
design--a program called Pro-Engineer is one example.  Programs
for 3-D design of everything from pencil-sharpeners to sky-scrapers
are another example.  Sure it would be nice to get that software
for free, but it will never happen. Thousands of manhours of
highly trained engineers and software designers are involved
in creating these products, and they need to (and deserve to) get
compensated for their work. Probably a good portion of these
individuals have post-doc experience.  You don't get that for
nothing!

For background:  I am a retired electronic engineer, who worked
primarily in the lower microwave area, designing transmitters,
receivers, antennas, and the peripherals that go with them.
I personally used circuit simulators and optimizers from EEsof, and
later, HP-EEsof, from Sonnet, and several others; EZNEC antenna
analysis software, and a number of specialized design helpers
that I or one or more of my colleagues wrote.  Both I and the
mechanical designers used AutoCAD and Pro-E.  I can tell you
that very little of our modern civilization would exist without
this kind of software, in use in virtually every kind of business.
The reason most of the readers of these lists are unaware of
this kind of material, is that it is fantastically expensive--not
something the radio amateur has on his computer!  In days
past--early 1990s, say, you could still buy AutoCAD-LT for about
$200.  No more.  And EZNEC is probably still affordable.
And there ARE some programs for the radio amateur that come
"free" with the purchase of some text books.  And there is a
little free CAD software--QCAD is available, for 2-D design.
Some stripped-down s/w is still usable--Micro-Cap Evaluation
for lower frequency cirduit analysis, AppCAD, a bunch of Q&D
design aids--I'm pretty sure you can get a Smith-Chart program
for free if you look. But the heavy metal is not free.  And can't be.

Sorry for the bandwidth, but I think the Linux user--I'm certainly
one of them--needs to realize what real specialized software is, and
what it costs to develop, and why it's not free.

BTW: when I mention expensive, I'm not talking Microsoft Office
numbers, I'm talking 5 and 6 figures!

--doug