Re: what graphic card to buy?

On 16/07/12 11:10 AM, Slavko wrote:
Ahoj,

Dňa Mon, 16 Jul 2012 09:50:38 -0400 Gary Dale<garydale@rogers.com>
napísal:

AMD/ATI also make closed source drivers. Which manufacturer has the
faster cards is largely dependent on when you buy. They usually trade
places with each new generation of product.
I know. Both proprietary drivers have they own installation proces and
both are working. When i am writing about problems with ATI, the latest
(which i remember) was needing of the manually swith to the X console
(VTE?) after suspend/hybernate. This was only small problem and was easy
solved by small script to power management. Another was more big for me -
i was unable to get the working external VGA monitor for notebook (with
different resolution). It was some HP ProBook (i forgot exact number).

Perhaps these settings/problems are similar for both, but because i am
using the nvidia a long time, i am able to solve a lot of issues and i
can precise my settings now too :-) I read whole driver's manual, tips
from other users, etc.

AMD/ATI's open source drivers are actually quite good and getting
better. Unfortunately both vendors want to keep some of their "trade
secrets" secret, so the open source drivers will never be the same as
the closed source ones. However, the open source drivers do have the
potential to surpass the closed ones in the long run.
Sure. I sometime check the status of the open source drivers (mostly with
new installs, where these open source are default). The ATI (open source)
driver seems to have better performance than Nvidia, but nouveau is going
forward too :-)

Also, if the vendors continue to put more into their card's firmware,
the discussion may change, as it did for network cards, into using open
source drivers with your choice of open or closed firmware.
You are right, but this si IMO out of the our discussion now. But it seems
that providing HW + SW as one compact thing si today's trend.

As for respecting the company's freedom - we also used to respect
people's freedom to own slaves. Eventually we developed to the point
that we recognized slavery in and of itself is an affront to freedom.
I am not sure, if i understand this properly, please can you more explain
this - in simple english, please :-)

regards

The basic premise is that freedom cannot infringe on the rights of others. The "freedom" software companies take to not open their drivers infringes on our rights to control the hardware we buy.