Re: what graphic card to buy?

On 16/07/12 05:04 AM, Slavko wrote:
Hi,

Dňa Sun, 15 Jul 2012 23:04:44 +0700 Sthu Deus<sthu.deus@gmail.com>
napísal:

I can say absolutely opposite - ATI cards worked just fine for me w/
3D acceleration from the free drivers (when the models support was
already there).
The mentioned are my bad experiences, which can be depended on some
exact card type (or VGA/motherboard/notebook/etc combination).

Also, ATI cards seems to have a better ratio price/performance.
You are right about this, but for me this is not an issue :-)

My nvidia has enough performance to work with my two monitors (3200 x 1080)
now (GeForce GT 220), and i am not buying the new computer once a month
(but once in some years), then some more money is not problem here.

nouveau's performance is very poor when i compare it with closed source
driver and was not enough for me. And i am not open source extremist
(don't know how to write this), then contributing to open source community
is not big reason for me - i am respecting the company's freedom in this.

regards
AMD/ATI also make closed source drivers. Which manufacturer has the faster cards is largely dependent on when you buy. They usually trade places with each new generation of product.

AMD/ATI's open source drivers are actually quite good and getting better. Unfortunately both vendors want to keep some of their "trade secrets" secret, so the open source drivers will never be the same as the closed source ones. However, the open source drivers do have the potential to surpass the closed ones in the long run.

Also, if the vendors continue to put more into their card's firmware, the discussion may change, as it did for network cards, into using open source drivers with your choice of open or closed firmware.

As for respecting the company's freedom - we also used to respect people's freedom to own slaves. Eventually we developed to the point that we recognized slavery in and of itself is an affront to freedom.