Re: biff in Squeeze

Mike McClain wrote:
>     But something is sending 'You have mail in /var/mail/mike' often
> in the middle of me typing a commandline or editing a file which can
> be most disconcerting & annoying. I get these messages even when the
> mail is old mail I just haven't thrown away yet.
>     Can someone tell me what might be doing this and how to control it?

This may be the shell's own built-in mail check.  The bash
documentation for example says:

       MAIL   If this parameter is set to a file or directory name and
              the MAILPATH variable is not set, bash informs the user
              of the arrival of mail in the specified file or
              Maildir-format directory.

       MAILCHECK
              Specifies how often (in seconds) bash checks for mail.
              The default is 60 seconds.  When it is time to check for
              mail, the shell does so before displaying the primary
              prompt.  If this variable is unset, or set to a value
              that is not a number greater than or equal to zero, the
              shell disables mail checking.

       MAILPATH
              A colon-separated list of file names to be checked for
              mail.  The message to be printed when mail arrives in a
              particular file may be specified by separating the file
              name from the message with a `?'.  When used in the text
              of the message, $_ expands to the name of the current
              mailfile.  Example: MAILPATH='/var/mail/bfox?"You have
              mail":~/shell-mail?"$_ has mail!"'  Bash supplies a
              default value for this variable, but the location of the
              user mail files that it uses is system dependent (e.g.,
              /var/mail/$USER).

Bob