Re: How can I install an amd64 to my new bought Laptop/

On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 13:42:31 +0800, Benimaur Gao wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 12:05 AM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Okay, then how do you expect to run "any" command from the installer
>> itself? :-?

> alt+F2, F3... can always work, it's useful to change to other tty
> console, so I can input these commands..

Yes, but only a small set of commands are available in this stage for
debugging purposes rather to "rsync" the uninstalled system :-)

>> There's a documented method for doing that:
>>
>> http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/ch04s03.html.en#usb-copy-isohybrid
>>
>> Did you run the above commands? (note that "dd" is not needed anymore)
>>
>> Also, what version are you installing (stable, testing...)?

> Okay, I will read the docs later.

Install guide is the first to read because there could have been changes
from a release to another.

> Is there anything wrong to create a bootable usb by dd? I don't know
> clearly about that..

No, that's also possible.

>>> //if this succeed, then I can chroot into the new 'system', install
>>> the kernel and grub, etc.
>>> I always use this way to install OS...
>>
>> First time I read something like that, sorry :-). I always install as
>> usual, by following the on-screen instructions.
>
> I've used such way to install the system for my collegures several
> times. If there were no usb or any bootable media at hand. I would take
> apart their hard disk, and install them to my machine as a slave disk.
> Then I can easily install system  on their disk either by debootstrap or
> copy my system to their disk..
> This method always works fine for me before :p

(...)

Yup, but then you may find useful this other doc just in case you're
missing something else:

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/apds03.html.en

Anyway, if you are working from the installer your scope will be very
limited. I would install a small bare system and then replicate/clone to
another disk/system by means of rsync or clonezilla-alike tools.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón