Re: How can I install an amd64 to my new bought Laptop/

On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 23:37:02 +0800, Benimaur Gao wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 11:20 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

>> "Cannot use" means that you already installed a full system on your
>> machine?
>
> No... sorry for my crappy English, I mean I can't use it to install
> system.

Okay, then how do you expect to run "any" command from the installer itself? :-?

>> The information you give is a bit chaotic. Can you please explain what
>> packages are installed in your system (full desktop environment, text
>> based install...), run any of the mentioned commands and put here the
>> output?
>
> OK.
> 1. I dd the netinst iso to a flash disk & boot the machine with it.

There's a documented method for doing that:

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/ch04s03.html.en#usb-copy-isohybrid

Did you run the above commands? (note that "dd" is not needed anymore)

Also, what version are you installing (stable, testing...)?

> 2. I try to rsync the whole system to my new machine by "rsync -av /*
> --exclude={/home/user/*,/sys/*,/dev/*,/proc/*,/mnt/*}
>
> then the system got crash...

What? Without installing first?

I'm not sure what are you trying to do nor if it can be done from the
installer :-?

> //if this succeed, then I can chroot into the new 'system', install the
> kernel and grub, etc.
> I always use this way to install OS...

First time I read something like that, sorry :-). I always install as usual,
by following the on-screen instructions.

>> I'm afraid more precission and detailed information is required to
>> discover what can be happing here because amd64 images are as good as
>> i386 so the problem has to be elsewhere :-?
>
> there are too much dump info... I hope i can upload a picture captured
> by my phone as an alternative...
> errr.. do I create the bootable usb in a wrong way?? what's proper
> method to do that??
> unetbootin is required??

I already sent you a link with instructions. See above.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón