Re: How can I install an amd64 to my new bought Laptop/

On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 22:24:36 +0800, Benimaur Gao wrote:

>    I bought a new Laptop a few days ago, it's an X220i, and I planned
> to install a amd64 system on it
>    I dump a netinst iso(amd64) image to a flash disk by dd, boot and
> try to work with it, but I found it just cannot use. :(

"Cannot use" means that you already installed a full system on your
machine?

>    it's so easy to get crash after some trivial commands, such as 'tar
> xjvf', 'rsync -av', etc. The system just hang after dumping some info, I
> can't write them down entirely, too much content, I saw the keywords are
> about 'SMP', 'protecting'...

The information you give is a bit chaotic. Can you please explain what
packages are installed in your system (full desktop environment, text
based install...), run any of the mentioned commands and put here the
output?

>    Another two things I have tried:
>    1. I boot my old X61 with the same usb, It works OK with the
> previous deadly commands..
>    2. I change to an i386 image, It works fine with my new X220i and
> the same commands.
>    I hope to install the amd64 and I need your assistance! thank you!!

I'm afraid more precission and detailed information is required to
discover what can be happing here because amd64 images are as good as
i386 so the problem has to be elsewhere :-?

>    //btw, another thing to complain :(
>    I think it's very inconvenient to work with a netinst iso that lack
> of wpasupplicant! The WLAN and wpa/wpa2 authentication is so ubiquitous
> nowadays, It's annoying to find a UTP cable..

Wireless is available at install time but only WEP for Squeeze images
(WPA is an option since wheezy, IIRC). Anyway, installing is the most
delicated step, nothing I would rely to a wireless data layer :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón