Re: Backports on Squeeze OT question/issue

On 20120703_103802, Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 02, 2012 at 05:34:19PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> > On Mon, 02 Jul 2012 10:09:49 -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:
> > > but how does one know of the existance of a backported package.
> >
> > As usual, you go to the online search and type the name of the package.
> > If there's a backport counterpart it will listed there.
> >
> > You can also query from here:
> >
> > http://backports-master.debian.org/Packages/
>
> Are you supposed to do this daily, or what?
>
> He means it being a push operation not a pull operation. No doubt he
> already knows about querying for himself at
> http://backports-master.debian.org/Packages/

Let me join in the discussion of what I intended by my badly
worded request:

1. I need a way of learning the name of the package that might help
with some problem, a place on the web where I can pick up search terms
on a topic with which I am not familiar. At the beginning of my
search, I simply don't know what to type in the search box. In the
particular case of backports of packages that I am already using
and are serving me well enough as is, but might have a backport that
is actually much better, how do I discover that backport? But more
likely situation is that I have tried and found wanting the package
in the original release, but would revisit the issue if I knew their
was a backport. Tracking backports of software that I am somehow
able to live without is not something to which I can allot much time.
But I might be missing out on some really neat stuff.

2. If I do decide to put squeeze-backports in my sources.list, will
the backported packages be displayed in the interactive browser?

3. If they are displayed in interactive mode, will I be able to tell
that they are backports? (so that I can exercise that extra caution
that has been recommended in this thread)

These are questions that are quite low priority because I am generally
quite satisfied with the pace of development in Debian. If the
answers indicate that using backports is not for me, I'll not
complain.

Thanks :-)
--
Paul E Condon