Re: Backports on Squeeze

On Wed, 04 Jul 2012 08:38:33 +1200, Chris Bannister wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 03, 2012 at 02:04:52PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:

>> > Are you supposed to do this daily, or what?
>>
>> To do what? Search for a package in the backports?
>
> An updated backport.

What's an "updated backport"? I only know of the usual backported
packages regardless their numbering version (up-to-date or not).

>> That would depend on your needings, I personally do a few software
>> installs in my systems so yes, when I need to search for a package I
>> use the online interface.
>
> apt-cache search should be good enough for a new package, apt-cache
> policy for version info.

Well, that's exactly what I suggested to Paul.

>> > He means it being a push operation not a pull operation. No doubt he
>> > already knows about querying for himself at
>> > http://backports-master.debian.org/Packages/
>>
>> What do you suggest then?
>
> either subscribe to: debian-backports-changes@lists.debian.org,

(...)

I'm subscribed but it's not a convenient way to know what packages are in
the pool but what is happening in the background (proposal of newer
packages, updated versions...).

> or
>
> use appropriate pinning;

(...)

That's also what I suggested. I wonder if you really read in deep my
posts or just reply by the sake of replying :-)

> or
>
> run testing, especially if you are backporting a lot of packages.

If you run testing there's no need to use the backports.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón