Re: Backports on Squeeze OT question/issue

On 20120702_144837, Camaleón wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Jul 2012 02:15:42 +0200, Mark Panen wrote:
>
> > Is it safe to have backports enabled on a stable Squeeze 6.05 system?
>
> I'd say now is even safer than before because the backported packages are
> integrated within the official repositories which should lead to less
> packages/libraries collisions.
>
> Just use it with caution and consider a correct pinning if you are
> planing of making an intensive use of them.
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón

This comment is addressed to this thread because it is a question that
has puzzled me about squeeze-backports. I know that one must do a special
thing, namely -t option in order to actually download and install a
backported package, but how does one know of the existance of a backported
package. For packages in the general main/squeeze grouping, I have browsed
the interactive user interface of Aptitude. Do the backports show up there
if I add the line to my sources.list? If no, where do I browse? If yes,
how do I know that they are somehow special, and that I need to do more
than typing a simple + to select them?

The answer may be obvious and innately intuitive, but I have found from
experience, intuitive is something that I was told long ago and not
remembered until presented with an actual example. I don't think I have
been told how to intuit the answers here.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net