Re: round-robin mx and nginx proxy

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 03:54:28PM +0800, Umarzuki Mochlis wrote:
> I need general help on a multi-server setup with
>
> 2 MTAs (each also a nginx reverse-proxy)
> 2 mailbox servers (round-robin)
>
> when i check nginx.log on both MTA, only the second MTA got https
> connection (zimbra support also confirmed this) and it seems that this
> might caused by DNS setup or related network configuration
>
> how do I pinpoint as to where the root cause might be?

I think I would first start by checking the output of repeated calls to
"dig +short mx yourdomain.example.org". This should vary, with your
servers swapping positions each time.

If you only get the same output each time, then it's down to the sending
MTA to pick an appropriate MX from the list. I assume both your MXs have
the same priority; in that case the sending SMTP should pick one at
random and, if that fails, try the other. Note here, that if you're
using round-robin AND same-priority MXs, both are picking the order at
random.