Re: wordpress/apache

On Jun 18, 2012, at 4:19 PM, Chris Davies wrote:

> I think an entry in /etc/hosts would have been my choice, but I can see
> that a secondary IP would work pretty well. What about putting it on lo
> rather than eth0, though?

I hadn't thought of that -- the program said it couldn't ping a FQDN. I
assumed it was using the IP, but I can see how that might be a much better
solution. I'll give it a try. Thanks.

> It was (a little) easier from the "official" tarball. But how secure
> the resulting installation is, I don't know. At least it's still only
> on my laptop  ;-)

I tried several different installs, including the factory recommendation.
I thought it was easier too, but I wanted the Debian update process behind
it. And I think your 'hosts' trick will make it more secure -- there's nobody
responding to the IP given out by DNS. Not on the DMZ, anyway...

--
Glenn English
hand-wrapped from my Apple Mail