Re: wordpress/apache

On Jun 18, 2012, at 12:10 PM, Chris Davies wrote:

> I think what I did when trying this out the other day was this:
>    cd /var/www && sudo ln -s /usr/share/wordpress

I did that part by copying to a file called wp.conf in /etc/apache2/conf.d
from /usr/share/doc/wordpress/examples/apache.conf. The edited version contains:

> 	Alias /blog /usr/share/wordpress
> 	<Directory /usr/share/wordpress>
> 	  Options FollowSymLinks
> 	  AllowOverride Limit Options FileInfo
> 	  DirectoryIndex index.php
> 	</Directory>

And I made a directory called 'blog' in /var/www. That makes Apache think
the stuff in /usr/share/wordpress is in /var/www/blog. According to my
Apache2 book, this is better than a soft link (don't remember why).

Then the problem became that setup-mysql hurled because it couldn't ping
interface.slsware.com, the server WP is on. All it could get to was the 1918
DMZ net IP -- like it's supposed to. A secondary IP on eth0 fixed that, and it
seems to be running now.

WordPress is *not* trivial to set up, as it advertises. Not from the Debian
package and trying for some security, anyway. I had to do a lot that I
never needed before, some of which I've been told never to do on the
Internet. I'm glad I have a dedicated server for it, so I'll have a better
chance at keeping the badGuys away from it.

There are always a million things to get right before something works. But with
this, there was very little, except a blank screen, to give me a hint of what
was still bent.

I don't understand Debian's thinking on this. It's nice that they put the config
files in /etc, and the README was helpful. But when apt's finished installing, it
doesn't work. It's a long way from working. I don't ever remember seeing that before
in a .deb package.

--
Glenn English
hand-wrapped from my Apple Mail