Re: [OT] Documenting new stuff (was: /tmp is too small)

On Sat, Jun 09, 2012 at 08:10:39PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Sat, 09 Jun 2012 20:01:33 +0200, Slavko wrote:
>
> > Ahoj,
> >
> > Dňa Sat, 9 Jun 2012 16:36:39 +0000 (UTC) Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com>
> > napísal:
> >
> >> On Fri, 08 Jun 2012 00:04:46 +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> >>
> >> Andrei, I'd be more than glad to help here and create a wiki entry for
> >> the TMPFS status but I really don't follow close enough the latests
> >> developments and modifications that take place in Sid.
> >>
> >> As an example, I just have noticed:
> >
> > IMO, the both config files (/etc/default/rcS and /etc/default/tmpfs) are
> > well commented. Then this wiki page can be simple pointer to files,
> > where these settings are stored. No duplicate work is needed ;-)
>
> Mmm... did you recently read those files? I don't think so ;-P
>
> Those files contain no insightful information that can help the user to
> decide if going with the new approach or staying with the old behaviour.
> The wiki page can expand the concept of having "/tmp" in a virtual space
> more than just pointing the users on how tweak a couple of variables.
>
> Although there's more info at the usual path "/usr/share/doc/initscripts/
> README.Debian" I still find it a bit intimidating for the newcomers.

As mentioned in the header of both these files, you should take a look
at the rcS(5) and tmpfs(5) manual pages, both of which go into much
more detail.  The files themselves only contain one line comments;
there's no point duplicating the entire manual page in the
configuration file.

If you would like additional information adding, please do file bugs,
patches if you have proposed text.  It's all in the public git repo.

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh