Re: configuring interface & configuring MTA time out

On Sat, 16 Jun 2012 15:05:50 -0400, Gilbert Sullivan wrote:

> On 06/16/2012 02:04 PM, Camaleón wrote:

>> You have to ask yourself if you really need that package in your
>> system. I never heard of it before nor read about it is needed for
>> running VB nor any other virtual machine :-?
>>

> Time for me to do some research, isn't it?
>
> ;-)
>
> But I did NOT install netscript on purpose.

And that's a problem (or at least it would be for me) because you got
installed a package that monopolizes (well, kind of) your networking and
if you are not aware of that it can be a real disaster, not necessarily
now but when you don't expect it (sorry, Murphy's Law, you know...).

Anyway, if the package was not there before I guess it can be safely
removed unless you really need it.

> In examining /var/log/apt/history.log I can see that it was actually
> installed when netbase was upgraded (on 05/19) from version 4.47 to
> version 5.0. This is also when ifupdown was automatically removed!

Let's see, this is starting to make sense; "netbase" recommends ifupdown
(a package that is also provided by the famous "netscript") and given
that ifupdown was removed, it could be that netscript occupied its place.
In brief, a usual messing problem from a testing release :-)

> I was assuming that netscript had been installed (and ifupdown removed)
> because of virtualbox because networking VMs is one of the supposed
> reasons why netscript is needed. But, apparently, aptitude took it upon
> itself to make this change when netbase was upgraded.
>
> I'm obviously going to have to do a LOT more digging to begin to begin
> to understand these relationships.

(...)

I think I finally joined the dots.

And I guess the same would have happened to me if I had not configured
apt to do not install "recommends" nor "suggests" (this is the firt thing
I do after installing a Debian system and now I'll do with an extra of
motivation >>:-) )

> I may just hang in there with it as long as I have no serious problems
> with it -- just in the interest of possibly learning something from the
> experience. I can always fall back to the tried-and-true if need be.

<malicious mode on>
Ensure you always have an extra pair of fingers close to you, I mean, to
press the "Ctrl+C" sequence when booting ;-P
<malicious mode off>

>> Yes, it can be. But to my taste, the description¹ for that package
>> leads me to think is not aimed for beginners (meaning: I would not
>> install it in my systems unless I really really know what I'm doing
>> :-P).
>>

> Hey, I'm a guy! The guys in my family have always LOVED fiddling with
> stuff we don't understand, and having it blow up in our faces! I'm an
> Alfred E. Neuman sort of guy, if you know what I mean.

(...)

Okay, okay... yes, I think every Debian user has a little of madness in
his/her deepest heart :-D

Greetings,

--
Camaleón