Re: configuring interface & configuring MTA time out

On Sat, 16 Jun 2012 13:06:11 -0400, Gilbert Sullivan wrote:

> On 06/16/2012 10:42 AM, Camaleón wrote:
>> If you are using the "resolvconf" package I bet you have to trust what
>> the "/etc/revolv.conf" file warning says in uppercase about do not
>> editing the file because is dynamically changed ;-)
>>
>> http://wiki.debian.org/NetworkConfiguration#The_resolvconf_program
>>
>> OTOH, I never used this package before, I don't know what's for nor how
>> is configured so I can't give you any feedback on this other than
>> reading the available docs and man pages :-)
>>

> Hi, Camaleón!
>
> Oh yes. I know now to fiddle with that file -- and any other that warns
> twinkies like me to keep hands off!
>
> I believe I am in the process of learning something of real use from
> Matthew Grant, who has been corresponding with me wrt Bug# 677642 on the
> Debian BTS.
>
> I've been wondering why the resolvconf package was apparently behaving
> differently than it used to behave, and why the /etc/resolv.conf looked
> different than it used to look.
>
> Matthew pointed out that my use of netscript 2.4 is sort of non-standard
> for a regular Debian desktop.

(...)

And he is right.

The first thing I would do is removing that package if you don't need it
at all (I don't have it installed, BTW, and running "apt-cache rdepends
netscript" returns void so no other package seems to depend on it).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón