Re: configuring interface & configuring MTA time out

On 06/16/2012 10:42 AM, Camaleón wrote:
> If you are using the "resolvconf" package I bet you have to trust what
> the "/etc/revolv.conf" file warning says in uppercase about do not
> editing the file because is dynamically changed ;-)
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/NetworkConfiguration#The_resolvconf_program
>
> OTOH, I never used this package before, I don't know what's for nor how
> is configured so I can't give you any feedback on this other than reading
> the available docs and man pages :-)

Hi, Camaleón!

Oh yes. I know now to fiddle with that file -- and any other that warns
twinkies like me to keep hands off!

I believe I am in the process of learning something of real use from
Matthew Grant, who has been corresponding with me wrt Bug# 677642 on the
Debian BTS.

I've been wondering why the resolvconf package was apparently behaving
differently than it used to behave, and why the /etc/resolv.conf looked
different than it used to look.

Matthew pointed out that my use of netscript 2.4 is sort of non-standard
for a regular Debian desktop. From the information he gave me, I think
I've figured out that this package was installed (and ifupdown removed)
because I've installed virtualbox, in preparation for testing some
virtual machines. I hadn't realized that my whole networking paradigm
had changed recently just because of the installation of virtualbox,
though it does makes sense that special configurations have to be made
to enable VMs to use networking.

Anyway, though aptitude says it's a "suggested" package for netscript
I've actually removed resolvconf, and now my /etc/resolv.conf file looks
more or less the way it used to look.

Diagnosing all of this was made tougher by the fact that my ISP had
accidentally botched my cable modem setup so that it was no longer
bridging properly, and name resolution was whacked on their side as well
as on mine. I had to work my way back from their modem to my router to
my system, doing diagnostics on each one and figuring out which symptom
was caused by what problem.

As I'm home for the weekend now, using DHCP, I'm not at one of the
locations where I use a fixed IP address. I imagine that I'll get to
continue working on this on Monday. (We run a business from home, and
the family isn't about to let me fiddle around any more with the home
network now that we've finally got things corrected by the ISP.)

<Terminator>

I'll be back!

</Terminator>