Re: configuring interface & configuring MTA time out

On Fri, 15 Jun 2012 19:56:59 -0400, Gilbert Sullivan wrote:

> On 06/15/2012 12:58 PM, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>>> Thank you for your ideas, and I'll return to this thread when I have
>>> any kind of information.
>>
>> Ok, keep us informed. I feel curious about what's going on here :-)
>>

> Just a note about an observation. Just for grins -- even though name
> resolution was working fine -- I checked the contents of
> /etc/resolv.conf. They are listed below:
>
> ----------------------------8<----------------------------
> # Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by
> resolvconf(8)
> #     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
> nameserver 127.0.0.1
> search wp.comcast.net
> ----------------------------8<----------------------------
>
> This is with the system connected at a location that does use Comcast as
> its ISP. But the contents of this file are not at all what I'd expect. I
> tried adding
>
> dns-nameservers 208.67.222.222 208.67.220.220
>
> to /etc/network/interfaces. Rebooting made no difference in the contents
> of /etc/resolv.conf. Is that because something weird is going on, or
> because the changes in netscript that happened at the time of the update
> have changed the way resolvconf works? I suspect the latter due to other
> information available.

If you are using the "resolvconf" package I bet you have to trust what
the "/etc/revolv.conf" file warning says in uppercase about do not
editing the file because is dynamically changed ;-)

http://wiki.debian.org/NetworkConfiguration#The_resolvconf_program

OTOH, I never used this package before, I don't know what's for nor how
is configured so I can't give you any feedback on this other than reading
the available docs and man pages :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón