Re: configuring interface & configuring MTA time out

On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 13:44:44 -0400, Gilbert Sullivan wrote:

> On 06/13/2012 12:54 PM, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>> Okay, I think I see now the problem (thanks for clarifying!):
>> networking service timeouts -or takes too much time- because no DHCP
>> server is in place and then "it does something" that's what we need to
>> analyze to see a way on how to speed it up. Is that right? :-)
>
> Yup, that's it. I know my situation is something of a corner case, but
> I'd bet that there are other folks affected by it, too.

(...)

Not a corner case at all, it was just me who was a bit dense O:-)

Your setup is crystal-clear now and I guess is used by many road-warrior-
alike users.

> As I said, I could just have Wicd (if it will cooperate) switch in an
> appropriate /etc/network/interfaces file when it runs, but that seems
> like a clumsy way to handle this.

Well, if I were using WICD or Network-Manager (or a another application
to manage the network configuration settings) I would avoid messing up
things with the plain "/etc/network/interfaces" file.

Generally speaking, there are two main options for managing the network:
old stuff (ifup) and the new set utilities (n-m, wicd, etc...) and both
have to interactuate nicely which is not always the case :-P

- If using "/etc/network/interfaces" with a dynamic IP setup, you can
configure a secondary fall-back setting in the event your system can't
get the settings from DHCP server (this is done from dhcp-client and you
can define time-out intervals, IP settings, and all that stuff).

- If using WICD (or N-M) you have to control this from WICD provided
tools which, to be sincere, I don't know what they are nor how they
look :-) but there has to be some kind of control panel, applet or GUI
client where you can define the options for the wired card and the rest
of the parameters related to DHCP.

What I would like to know is whether WICD reads (or feeds) from "/etc/
dhcp/dhclient.conf" file because if so, you can start tweaking this and
play with the values.

Now (and back to your problem), what's your system exactly doing at
booting? Yes, we know there's a delay when setting up the network but if
you boot as usual, what happens? Your system finally boots, you login and
what are your current network settings? Are they fine or your eth0 card
is not configured with the correct data and goes to a zeroconf setup
(169.254.0.x)?

I ask this to have an idea on where to put the focus in either a) long
delay -timeout- but NIC settings are finally okay or b) long delay -
timeout- with NIC settings unconfigured.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón