Re: Turn Off Screen Saver

On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 15:21:32 +1000, Paul Nulandorn wrote:

> On Wed, 2012-06-13 at 13:49 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

>> > Each time I boot into my old user the output of xset -q reverts to :
>> >
>> > DPMS (Energy Star):
>> >   Standby: 600    Suspend: 600    Off: 600
>> >
>> > I need to go back into power management to and click "Make Default"
>> > to make it change back to:
>> >
>> > DPMS (Energy Star):
>> >   Standby: 0    Suspend: 0    Off: 0
>> >
>> > each time I reboot.
>>
>> Yes, I think this is documented at the "man xset": ***
>> These settings will be reset to default values when you log out.
>>
>> Note that not all X implementations are guaranteed to honor all of
>> these options.
>> ***
>>
>> That is, you'll have to provide the commands you want to change on
>> every login so they stick.
>
> What command should I use to do this and where should I put it?

I bet you can add the required "xset" commands into "/etc/rc.local" file
but as Ralf has suggested in another post if this can be done directly
from Xorg configuration, I find it a cleaner solution :-)

If you want to try the Xorg option tehre's more info here:

http://www.shallowsky.com/linux/x-screen-blanking.html

Note 1: Remember that starting from Squeeze the xorg configuration files
have been splitted in many "chunks" so you'll have to find where the
corresponding file for the "Display" stanza is located and edit
accordingly.

Note 2: You'll have to power-cycle the system or restart the xserver
daemon to test the changes.

Note 3: Always do a backup copy _before_ editing any file so you can
easily revert any change :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón