Re: Turn Off Screen Saver

On Tue, 2012-06-12 at 20:31 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jun 2012 11:31:12 +1000, Paul Nulandorn wrote:

> >> OK, so I created a new user and checked the output of xset -q and got
> >> this:
> >>
> >> DPMS (Energy Star):
> >> Standby: 0    Suspend: 0    Off: 0
> >> DPMS is Enabled
> >>
> >> as opposed to this:
> >>
> >> DPMS (Energy Star):
> >> Standby: 600    Suspend: 600    Off: 600
> >> DPMS is Enabled
> >>
> >> So the problem is to do with the configuration of my user.
>
> Mmm, that's curious. I wonder what could have altered those settings for
> your usual user's profile :-?

I don't know.

> How about the values for "Screen Saver"?

Screen Saver:
 prefer blanking:  yes    allow exposures:  yes
 timeout:  600    cycle:  600

> > Update:
> >
> > I have managed to get the output of xset -q to properly reflect the
> > power-management popup configurations by playing around with the various
> > settings and clicking the make default button. Some the screen does not
> > go into power save now. The odd thing is that I can't make them go back
> > to the way they were.
> >
> > Confused.
>
> You want to enable the blanking again? Now the confused it's me :-)

Just trying to figure out what is going on with this control and why
wouldn't I want to be able to change my power management setting from
time to time?

> > Can someone verify whether or not xset -q is supposed to reflect the
> > power management popup?
>
> This is what I get:
>
> sm01@stt008:~$ xset -q
> Keyboard Control:
>   auto repeat:  on    key click percent:  0    LED mask:  00000002
>   auto repeat delay:  500    repeat rate:  30
>   auto repeating keys:  00ffffffdffffbbf
>                         fadfffdfffdfe5ef
>                         ffffffffffffffff
>                         ffffffffffffffff
>   bell percent:  50    bell pitch:  400    bell duration:  100
> Pointer Control:
>   acceleration:  3/2    threshold:  4
> Screen Saver:
>   prefer blanking:  yes    allow exposures:  yes
>   timeout:  0    cycle:  0
> Colors:
>   default colormap:  0x20    BlackPixel:  0    WhitePixel:  16777215
> Font Path:
>   /home/sm01/.gnome2/share/cursor-fonts,/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc,/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/:unscaled,/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/:unscaled,/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1,/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi,/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi,/home/sm01/.gnome2/share/fonts
> Bug Mode: compatibility mode is disabled
> DPMS (Energy Star):
>   Standby: 0    Suspend: 0    Off: 0
>   DPMS is Enabled
>   Monitor is On
> File paths:
>   Config file:  /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>   Modules path: /usr/lib/xorg/modules
>   Log file:     /var/log/Xorg.0.log
>
> But that does not seem to match with my current settings: I have set the
> screensaver to comes up after 15 minutes and the screen has to be powered
> down after 30 minutes.

Some more information:

Each time I boot into my old user the output of xset -q reverts to :

DPMS (Energy Star):
  Standby: 600    Suspend: 600    Off: 600

I need to go back into power management to and click "Make Default" to
make it change back to:

DPMS (Energy Star):
  Standby: 0    Suspend: 0    Off: 0

each time I reboot.

Though I don't need to do this with the new user.