Re: Problem with Dovecot

On Tue, 12 Jun 2012 22:19:11 +0100, Keir Snow wrote:

(please, keep the replies at the bottom of the text you are replying to
improve the thread readability, thanks!)

> On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 4:23 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 15 May 2012 15:59:11 +0100, Keir Snow wrote:
>>
>>> Bit of a newbie here so please bear with me!
>>>
>>> I've installed Dovecot on my debian squeeze virtual server.  I managed
>>> to configure it using system users and it seemed to work.  However
>>> over the past week or so it has simply not been working.  mail I send
>>> to myself (ie keir@mydomain.org) does not appear in the webmailer
>>> (roundcube) or mutt as it did previously yet it does not bounce
>>> either.
>>
>> You have to check first if it has been even delivered, which means if
>> it reached you MTA and with what result.

(...)

> Exim is my MTA, it is working for sending mail but seemingly not
> receiving, I just tried mailing locally and even that doesn't seem to
> work.

(...)

> <-  250 OK id=1SeYgK-000803-DX
>  -> QUIT
> <-  221 mydomain.org closing connection === Connection closed with
> remote host.

(...)

(hint: when giving fancy domain name examples instead your real ones,
it's recommended to use "example.com" (".org" or ".net") to avoid
problems with routing)

SMTP session seems to be going okay, message is accepted and Exim should
be now in charge of the e-mail.

Okay, now the next step I'd do is reading from Exim's logs to discover
what has been happening with the message (rejected, removed, on-hold,
pending, deferred, unroutable...), but Exim logs are under "/var/log/
exim4/*", take a look at files in there.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón