Re: Sugestions for New Releases of Debian

On 20120609_101334, ARAVIND CHAK wrote:
> I'm new here but presume that this will be circulated in THE Deb-LIST.

Several replys already give point-by-point answers to your post. I
want to mention that in all issues about files, their types, and where
they should be placed, it is important that you be aware of the FHS,
Filesystem Heirarchy Standard.  It is a document that is shipped with
every release of Debian that I have ever encountered and gives the
rational for most of the file placements.  I think there will be no
movement whatsoever on the part of Debian towards something else,
unless the issues raised, and decided, in FHS are addressed in a
proposal for change. Find a copy. Read it. Even if you decide to do
your own thing, it is useful to check your vision against the FHS to
be sure you haven't left anything out. Of course, you could still miss
something, but the probability is a lot less with FHS than without.

Everyone has their own vision of what traditional Debian is. Usually
that vision is the release of Debian that was current at the time they
first became Debian aware. There is a short history of Debian in
Wikipedia. I'm too new to Debian to say how good or bad that history
is, but it seems OK to me. I have long wished that someone with real
Social Science creds would study us as a counter example to the
maunderings of Ayn Rand.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net