Re: Sugestions for New Releases of Debian

On Sat, 09 Jun 2012 10:13:34 +0530, ARAVIND CHAK wrote:

(...)

> So please think whether you would like to widely support/disseminate
> five thoughts:
> 1)  That the classic Debian desktop  with
> Panels/launchers/drawers/applets remains - always.

"Always" is a longish word :-)

You can choose whatever desktop environment suits your needs if you don't
like the default one.

> 2)  That the software repositories for Synaptic and Software-Centre are
> kept as up-to-date as possible to give access to the latest versions of
> software e.g. Eclipse, Scribus, I understand that these are maintained
> by dedicated people as volunteers.

This is not going to happen, at least with the current sofwtare release
model.

> 3) That software be developed to make a "Remaster" type backup on larger
> than the ISO for a 4.7GB DVD.

You already have many different ISO images options: smaller (<150 MiB),
medium (CD 700 MiB) and big (DVD 4.7 GiB). Also bittorent. I think we're
well server here.

> 4) That the .deb packages for all installations be kept in a separate
> folder (other than /var/apt/cache/bin??) as a back-up local repository
> folder which can be ported to a new installation e.g. after a
> re-installation/re-formatting. This will save Internet time and expense.

You can setup your own local repository to cope with that scenario and
copying the standalone deb files elsewhere is also possible.

> 5) That detailed help panels/pop-ups happen which tell you what each
> option implies during Debian installation

I don't understand this. You mean adding more help (informative texts) in
the installer? :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón