Re: the ghost of UEFI and Micr0$0ft

On Thu, Jun 07, 2012 at 06:20:25PM -0400, Tom H wrote:
> The shim boot loader that's being planned by Fedora would be signed by
> Microsoft but is open source [1] - it wouldn't be accepted in Fedora
> otherwise.

>From the Free Software Foundation:

A program is free software if the program's users have the four
essential freedoms:

• The freedom to run the program, for any purpose (freedom 0).
• The freedom to study how the program works, and change it so it does
  your computing as you wish (freedom 1). Access to the source code is
  a precondition for this.
• The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor
  (freedom 2).
• The freedom to distribute copies of your modified versions to others
  (freedom 3). By doing this you can give the whole community a chance
  to benefit from your changes. Access to the source code is a
  precondition for this.

The bootloader might technically be free software, it meets the above
four freedoms.  I can get the source and modify it.  But I can't
exercise my freedom by actually running it.  I can't *use* it.  Not
unless I pay some money for a special key.  And get "authorised" to
run my own code on my own computer.

Let's be clear what this is.  I have to get *permission* from someone
else, to run a program on my own computer.  To actually use my
computer to do my stuff, I have to take extraordinary steps to get
someone else to grant me access.  That's *fundamentally wrong*.

Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh
 : :' :  Debian GNU/Linux    http://people.debian.org/~rleigh/