Re: the ghost of UEFI and Micr0$0ft

On Thu, 2012-06-07 at 06:20 -0400, Tom H wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 3:46 PM, Roger Leigh <rleigh@codelibre.net> wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 06, 2012 at 01:07:23PM -0400, Tom H wrote:
> >>
> >> What's non-free about signing the "boot-chain"?
> >
> > Do I have the freedom to build and install and boot my own kernel?
> >
> > No?  Looks like I lost the freedom to have any semblance of control
> > over my own hardware.
>
> You can buy a key from Verisign, etc...
>
> I'll be buying a new laptop in December/January and I'll give that a
> try. We'll see how much of a PitA it's going to be.

If I should need to buy a key from a company handling the UEFI keys,
assumed it's not a Linux related company, to use Linux with a self build
kernel, I would drop Linux soon. Fortunately there are laws against
monopolies, so I suspect that for x86_64 mobos UEFI always can be
disabled.

I also won't use a closed source bootloader-bootloader from a company
like Microsoft. They often offended laws and I'm sure they'll continue
to violate laws.

- Ralf