Re: [OT] Re: the ghost of UEFI and Micr0$0ft

On Tue, 05 Jun 2012 21:40:23 -0500, Christofer C. Bell wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 12:45 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 05 Jun 2012 19:26:55 +0200, Claudius Hubig wrote:

(...)

>>> However, I welcome the fact that attacks on Windows will be made more
>>> difficult, since that also means smaller botnets, fewer vulnerable
>>> computers etc.
>>
>> That's the problem: we don't have to care about Windows security, it's
>> not our business! That's a problem for the Windows users not for us.
>
> If you don't care about Windows security then just turn off secure boot.

And that's precisely the path I prefer for this matter: doing the same
we've been doing for years, as for example, with win-BIOS fake RAIDs. You
want that thing? You (the user) enable it or disable it at your desire.

>  You're running Debian to begin with.  I'm sure you can figure it out.
> You're a technical person.

"You, you, you..." *I'm* not the problem here.

> UEFI secure boot was *not developed to benefit Microsoft*.

We're not talking here about the UEFI secure boot feature but Fedora's
path to workaround an exclusively problem that will be generated by the
upcoming version of Microsoft OS, Windows 8. And IMO is just that, a
patch, a workaround, because it does not solve the core of the problem :-/

> Microsoft's only involvement here is being a 3rd party player who has a
> code signing key.  They are acting no differently than any other generic
> certificate authority here.  You just irrationally hate the company.

I use Microsoft products every day (in my home, at the office...), so you
simply don't know what you are saying.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón