Re: how to update Debian OS properly

On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 01:37:16PM BST, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
> >> 1. how to upgrade only the security patches?
> >
> > aptitude update && aptitude safe-upgrade [1]
>
> ok it will only update the security patches, no matter if what ever i
> write in source.list?

No, this will upgrade any "upgradeable" packages - be it a security
update or not.

> one more question. for example. if i wanted to upgrade. but only to
> stable version not to unstable or testing. then what could be done to
> achieve this. if there is no stable version update then it shouldn’t
> download anything from servers.

You don't upgrade stable to stable, you upgrade certain packages
within the stable distribution - the above command will achieve just
that.

> what i want is not just security patch but also OS to OS upgrade but
> only stable releases
> for, example. lenny to new lenny (but stable version)

I don't quite get what you mean by Lenny to new Lenny?
Lenny is an unsupported old-stable release.

> for,example Lenny to Squeez (but stable squeez version)
>
> how it is possible?

Lenny to squeeze upgrade is somewhat different, you need to have
entries for both of these releases in you sources.list file(s).

aptitude update && aptitude full-upgrade

will do what you want here. Bear in mind that full-upgrade will remove
packages, i.e. the ones which are in conflict with the new ones.

> >> 3. how to revert back to old OS, for example, in my case i upgraded my
> >> system from 6.0.4 to Wheezy/SID now want to revert things back.
> >
> > You can always install an older version of the package.
> >
> > [0] It seems like you had several entries in your sources.list file(s)
> > - post the content of your file here.
>
> deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main
> deb-src http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main
> deb http://backports.debian.org/debian-backports squeeze-backports main
> deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian sid main

This is the mistake you made, you've mixed both squeeze (stable) with
sid (unstable release) adding squeeze-backports on top of it.

I'd recommend reading about mixing of stable, testing unstable - stay
away from experimental ;^) - releases and what can you do with APT
pinning. Until then, stick with stable.

Cheers,
--
rjc